My Lord, what have I done? and other things I asked myself this morning...
Day 1:
I woke up this morning and was excited and scared and was wondering what I was about to endure. Most of the time I am a very strong, confident human being. Once I know what I'm doing, or have done it at least once, I am great. I am not so great when I am going into a new place, with new people, and doing things I have never done before. Then I am a nervous wreck. The people around me will never know that I am a nervous wreck. I will look calm, cool, collected, while inside...I'm a mess.
This morning was going to be my first day working out with a trainer. I thought I would cook some bacon and hard boil two eggs and actually eat breakfast, along with drink an energy drink for a little extra boost. Protein!!! I got up early. I put on some loud music. I cleaned my kitchen while things cooked. Then I ate and hopped in my car to go endure the unknown lying in wait for me at Anytime Fitness with Carlye, my trainer for the next 4 weeks. For those of you who actually work out, you might have a glimpse of what the rest of my story of this morning holds. For those of you who have no idea what I am about to write, let me just say, ENJOY! Feel free to laugh cause it gets funny.
As I said in the beginning, I was nervous. Carlye has always been an acquaintance in my life. We went to the same church for a while. I have been a patron at places she has worked and we have always had lovely conversation. I am friends with her on Facebook and have watched her journey to get fit and have spoken with her in the past about having her train me. So I was actually looking forward to this meet up, cause if anyone was going to help me accomplish my goals, she was going to be my gal. (And just as I had hoped, Carlye WAS amazing!)
I walk in to Anytime Fitness and size up the room. Professional "worker-outers" are everywhere. This is not the free hospital gym filled with Pastor Dave or the creepy 60-year-old Mexican dude (who I have always called Hugo in my head even though I have no idea his name and don't want to ask because 1-it tells him that I have forgotten his real name from our introductions 2 years ago and 2-He really looks like a Hugo so I don't want to call him something else, so Hugo it is) who always tells me, "Good morning, Jen-nee-fair! You look beautiful this morning." There is no exhausted looking nurses that I already know who are getting in a workout before they go home from their 12-hour shift. These people are not my people (yet).
I mean, I know Carlye, and another trainer, Matt. I recognize another acquaintance too later on in my workout. I know these people could become my people but today they weren't. I walk up to the desk where Carlye is and find her to be planning my workout for this morning. She is bent over a desk, scanning the room, planning my demise of muscle. I walk up and ask if I should go ahead and get on a treadmill and she says that we can go ahead and start. My stomach knots up as I think, "All right, here we go. Whatever you do, don't puke!"
Side note: I am a puker. I know that this grosses some people out, but I am a "better out than in" person. While I am a control freak in some areas, the contents of my stomach is free reign for where it can go. I will not fight that urge to upchuck in the nearest bathroom if I know that it will make me feel better.
Carlye says enthusiastically, "Alright, we are going to start with a kettlebell today!" Kettlebells are not a foreign object to me. I know what they are. Have I ever held one in my hand? Not until today. Carlye hands me a "light" kettlebell and proceeds to have me swing this weight up over my head. I think it was the 3rd or 4th swing I started to mentally question my breakfast choice. Carlye encouraged and showed me more kettlebell exercises and introduced her "Carlye-isms" of raisin, hoochie, and some other term I have forgotten. She complemented my form and proceeded to go-go-go and cram as much in my 30-minutes as possible. At one point where I was pretty sure that my breakfast was going to end up on the gym floor I decided to create a distraction and go get a drink of water. As I turn to walk over to my cubbie for my water bottle, my legs wobble. "Omgoodness, am I seriously going to fall on my face? This has only been 10 minutes. How out of shape are you?" were the thoughts that bombarded my mind. My drink is finished a little too quickly, stomach still churning, and I head back over to finish my workout. We walk over to the wall where I sigh a relief as I think, "Alright, I can rest for a bit." She puts this huge, wagon wheel looking weight on the ground. I immediately wonder if she is going to have me move that thing cause it wasn't going to happen. She shows me another exercise with the kettlebell where you bend over slowly making your butt touch the wall and then shoot back up to standing very quickly.
Side note: When I was in my 20's this action would not have bothered me at all. In my 30's I began to have equilibrium issues where I couldn't get up that quickly. It would make me seriously dizzy. When I get dizzy my stomach churns.
I go over to the wagon wheel and place my feet how she showed me and give myself a mental pep talk. "You can do this Holmes. You are almost done. She just said that you are almost done. You can puke at home. Just power through." I do the downward motion as she showed with perfect form and then shoot up. HOLY MACKEREL! Weeeeee! My head started swimming. Pep talk #2 ensued. "Ok, that wasn't that great Holmes. But you got this! You can do it! Just 14 more and you can go home and puke." I did the 2nd and 3rd, head spinning after each one. Pep talk #3 went something like, "Abort! Abort! You are going to puke! The water taste is here. You will puke! Abort!"
With that, I decided my 38-year-old butt needed to sit back against the wall and take a break. Carlye started telling me, all on her own, about not eating protein right before a workout cause you will puke your brains out. Her, having no clue that I had just downed 3 pieces of bacon, 2 hard-boiled eggs, and an energy drink prior, began to tell me the benefit of sugar. She said, "I don't care if its a pop-tart, you should eat some sort of sugar prior to a workout cause you will burn that sugar off." She went on to tell me how pop-tarts shouldn't be a staple in my diet but that we will go over diet at a later date. Two things happened at that very moment. I knew that Carlye was the perfect trainer for me cause she had just suggested a pop tart prior to a workout. The second was that I just needed to go puke if this workout was going to go any further.
I looked up at Carlye and said, "I think I'm gonna go puke." She asked if I was serious. I assured her that this was just part of being me and asked where the bathroom was. And with the instructions to go to the back corner of Anytime, I wobbled myself with my Lieutenant Dan legs to the back corner and collapsed myself next to throne and emptied the contents of my stomach into the water. INSTANT relief flowed over me. I washed my hands and held my head high and wobbled myself over feeling like I could do any workout that Carlye had left for me.
I announced to her that I was a new person and I finished my kettlebell butt sit thingy's (yes, that is the technical name for the exercise) and moved on to lunges. I quickly figured out that I could not do any other workout Carlye was going to have me do because as I did my first lunge, which was finishing a set I had done earlier, my legs started to wobble. Carlye was happy cause she had pushed me to failure, which she quickly assured me was a good thing. I finished my last lunge and she took the kettlebell away and let me know what we would work on tomorrow. She encouraged me to cool down on a treadmill so that is where I headed next.
After figuring out where the start button was and pushing every button but the right ones to make it go faster, I finally figured out the machine. I decided early on that slow was the way to go. I believe it was at the time that I let go and my legs began to give out that I decided that hanging on wasn't such a bad idea. "I'll just hold onto the heart rate thingy and look like I'm keeping track. That will make me less wimpy looking." I did 15 minutes and prayed to the Lord as I finished that I wouldn't face plant as I walked to my car. You know that you have had a good workout when you get closer to the Lord while you are doing it. :)
I made it to the car. I made it home. I made it out of the car. I made it to the step going into the house and seriously started to question if I would make it inside. I did one step and remembered that I would actually have to step into the house too. Surprisingly I made that step too. I was greeted with an eager Levi telling me about his amazing morning. He looked at me and said, "I thought you were going to work out today." I told him that I already did and was coming home from it. He shrugged and said, "Could have fooled me," and then walked off. I shake my head wondering what on earth I looked like and headed to the bathroom to start my true cool down. I started running a hot bath filled with epsom salts and collapsed into the bath.
As I laid there in the soothing waters, I reflected on my morning. And this is what my reflection time yielded:
*Tomorrow I will not eat a protein prior to my workout with Carlye.
*Carlye is the perfect person to help me achieve my goals.
*I might not be able to walk tomorrow and that is ok.
*Carlye was dead on with the sugar thing. I tend to be on the hypoglycemic side. Eating protein is good for when I need long term energy to get me through a basic morning. Sugar is what I need for workouts so that when my body hasn't had time to break down protein, it has something quick to go to so that I don't drop so dramatically. This morning, because I ate protein, I didn't have a large sugar supply, especially because it was early. Then my body used up my sugar and dropped me, hence, causing me to puke. That is why I puke when I work out really hard. MIND BLOWN! (I love figuring out things about myself.)
*It's ok to puke at a gym if you are going to learn something about yourself from it.
*My Lord, what have I done?
*You got this Holmes and you are going to rock this "Fabulous by Forty" life transformation.
So, if I can encourage you in any way, be YOU! If you are a person who has to puke at the gym to accomplish your goals, don't feel bad. Be you and rock that puke session. Everyone has to have a beginning and this is mine. I can't wait to look back on today and laugh because of the transformation that I have wanted for so long is finally happening.
I woke up this morning and was excited and scared and was wondering what I was about to endure. Most of the time I am a very strong, confident human being. Once I know what I'm doing, or have done it at least once, I am great. I am not so great when I am going into a new place, with new people, and doing things I have never done before. Then I am a nervous wreck. The people around me will never know that I am a nervous wreck. I will look calm, cool, collected, while inside...I'm a mess.
This morning was going to be my first day working out with a trainer. I thought I would cook some bacon and hard boil two eggs and actually eat breakfast, along with drink an energy drink for a little extra boost. Protein!!! I got up early. I put on some loud music. I cleaned my kitchen while things cooked. Then I ate and hopped in my car to go endure the unknown lying in wait for me at Anytime Fitness with Carlye, my trainer for the next 4 weeks. For those of you who actually work out, you might have a glimpse of what the rest of my story of this morning holds. For those of you who have no idea what I am about to write, let me just say, ENJOY! Feel free to laugh cause it gets funny.
As I said in the beginning, I was nervous. Carlye has always been an acquaintance in my life. We went to the same church for a while. I have been a patron at places she has worked and we have always had lovely conversation. I am friends with her on Facebook and have watched her journey to get fit and have spoken with her in the past about having her train me. So I was actually looking forward to this meet up, cause if anyone was going to help me accomplish my goals, she was going to be my gal. (And just as I had hoped, Carlye WAS amazing!)
I walk in to Anytime Fitness and size up the room. Professional "worker-outers" are everywhere. This is not the free hospital gym filled with Pastor Dave or the creepy 60-year-old Mexican dude (who I have always called Hugo in my head even though I have no idea his name and don't want to ask because 1-it tells him that I have forgotten his real name from our introductions 2 years ago and 2-He really looks like a Hugo so I don't want to call him something else, so Hugo it is) who always tells me, "Good morning, Jen-nee-fair! You look beautiful this morning." There is no exhausted looking nurses that I already know who are getting in a workout before they go home from their 12-hour shift. These people are not my people (yet).
I mean, I know Carlye, and another trainer, Matt. I recognize another acquaintance too later on in my workout. I know these people could become my people but today they weren't. I walk up to the desk where Carlye is and find her to be planning my workout for this morning. She is bent over a desk, scanning the room, planning my demise of muscle. I walk up and ask if I should go ahead and get on a treadmill and she says that we can go ahead and start. My stomach knots up as I think, "All right, here we go. Whatever you do, don't puke!"
Side note: I am a puker. I know that this grosses some people out, but I am a "better out than in" person. While I am a control freak in some areas, the contents of my stomach is free reign for where it can go. I will not fight that urge to upchuck in the nearest bathroom if I know that it will make me feel better.
Carlye says enthusiastically, "Alright, we are going to start with a kettlebell today!" Kettlebells are not a foreign object to me. I know what they are. Have I ever held one in my hand? Not until today. Carlye hands me a "light" kettlebell and proceeds to have me swing this weight up over my head. I think it was the 3rd or 4th swing I started to mentally question my breakfast choice. Carlye encouraged and showed me more kettlebell exercises and introduced her "Carlye-isms" of raisin, hoochie, and some other term I have forgotten. She complemented my form and proceeded to go-go-go and cram as much in my 30-minutes as possible. At one point where I was pretty sure that my breakfast was going to end up on the gym floor I decided to create a distraction and go get a drink of water. As I turn to walk over to my cubbie for my water bottle, my legs wobble. "Omgoodness, am I seriously going to fall on my face? This has only been 10 minutes. How out of shape are you?" were the thoughts that bombarded my mind. My drink is finished a little too quickly, stomach still churning, and I head back over to finish my workout. We walk over to the wall where I sigh a relief as I think, "Alright, I can rest for a bit." She puts this huge, wagon wheel looking weight on the ground. I immediately wonder if she is going to have me move that thing cause it wasn't going to happen. She shows me another exercise with the kettlebell where you bend over slowly making your butt touch the wall and then shoot back up to standing very quickly.
Side note: When I was in my 20's this action would not have bothered me at all. In my 30's I began to have equilibrium issues where I couldn't get up that quickly. It would make me seriously dizzy. When I get dizzy my stomach churns.
I go over to the wagon wheel and place my feet how she showed me and give myself a mental pep talk. "You can do this Holmes. You are almost done. She just said that you are almost done. You can puke at home. Just power through." I do the downward motion as she showed with perfect form and then shoot up. HOLY MACKEREL! Weeeeee! My head started swimming. Pep talk #2 ensued. "Ok, that wasn't that great Holmes. But you got this! You can do it! Just 14 more and you can go home and puke." I did the 2nd and 3rd, head spinning after each one. Pep talk #3 went something like, "Abort! Abort! You are going to puke! The water taste is here. You will puke! Abort!"
With that, I decided my 38-year-old butt needed to sit back against the wall and take a break. Carlye started telling me, all on her own, about not eating protein right before a workout cause you will puke your brains out. Her, having no clue that I had just downed 3 pieces of bacon, 2 hard-boiled eggs, and an energy drink prior, began to tell me the benefit of sugar. She said, "I don't care if its a pop-tart, you should eat some sort of sugar prior to a workout cause you will burn that sugar off." She went on to tell me how pop-tarts shouldn't be a staple in my diet but that we will go over diet at a later date. Two things happened at that very moment. I knew that Carlye was the perfect trainer for me cause she had just suggested a pop tart prior to a workout. The second was that I just needed to go puke if this workout was going to go any further.
I looked up at Carlye and said, "I think I'm gonna go puke." She asked if I was serious. I assured her that this was just part of being me and asked where the bathroom was. And with the instructions to go to the back corner of Anytime, I wobbled myself with my Lieutenant Dan legs to the back corner and collapsed myself next to throne and emptied the contents of my stomach into the water. INSTANT relief flowed over me. I washed my hands and held my head high and wobbled myself over feeling like I could do any workout that Carlye had left for me.
I announced to her that I was a new person and I finished my kettlebell butt sit thingy's (yes, that is the technical name for the exercise) and moved on to lunges. I quickly figured out that I could not do any other workout Carlye was going to have me do because as I did my first lunge, which was finishing a set I had done earlier, my legs started to wobble. Carlye was happy cause she had pushed me to failure, which she quickly assured me was a good thing. I finished my last lunge and she took the kettlebell away and let me know what we would work on tomorrow. She encouraged me to cool down on a treadmill so that is where I headed next.
After figuring out where the start button was and pushing every button but the right ones to make it go faster, I finally figured out the machine. I decided early on that slow was the way to go. I believe it was at the time that I let go and my legs began to give out that I decided that hanging on wasn't such a bad idea. "I'll just hold onto the heart rate thingy and look like I'm keeping track. That will make me less wimpy looking." I did 15 minutes and prayed to the Lord as I finished that I wouldn't face plant as I walked to my car. You know that you have had a good workout when you get closer to the Lord while you are doing it. :)
I made it to the car. I made it home. I made it out of the car. I made it to the step going into the house and seriously started to question if I would make it inside. I did one step and remembered that I would actually have to step into the house too. Surprisingly I made that step too. I was greeted with an eager Levi telling me about his amazing morning. He looked at me and said, "I thought you were going to work out today." I told him that I already did and was coming home from it. He shrugged and said, "Could have fooled me," and then walked off. I shake my head wondering what on earth I looked like and headed to the bathroom to start my true cool down. I started running a hot bath filled with epsom salts and collapsed into the bath.
As I laid there in the soothing waters, I reflected on my morning. And this is what my reflection time yielded:
*Tomorrow I will not eat a protein prior to my workout with Carlye.
*Carlye is the perfect person to help me achieve my goals.
*I might not be able to walk tomorrow and that is ok.
*Carlye was dead on with the sugar thing. I tend to be on the hypoglycemic side. Eating protein is good for when I need long term energy to get me through a basic morning. Sugar is what I need for workouts so that when my body hasn't had time to break down protein, it has something quick to go to so that I don't drop so dramatically. This morning, because I ate protein, I didn't have a large sugar supply, especially because it was early. Then my body used up my sugar and dropped me, hence, causing me to puke. That is why I puke when I work out really hard. MIND BLOWN! (I love figuring out things about myself.)
*It's ok to puke at a gym if you are going to learn something about yourself from it.
*My Lord, what have I done?
*You got this Holmes and you are going to rock this "Fabulous by Forty" life transformation.
So, if I can encourage you in any way, be YOU! If you are a person who has to puke at the gym to accomplish your goals, don't feel bad. Be you and rock that puke session. Everyone has to have a beginning and this is mine. I can't wait to look back on today and laugh because of the transformation that I have wanted for so long is finally happening.
Comments
Post a Comment